Welcome!!!!

Welcome to Lit's Blog, where all things literary are fair game! As a middle school Language Arts teacher, one of the many things I'll be using this forum for is to share my opinions on books, both Young Adult, and otherwise, that I've recently read, and hope that you'll jump into the fray with your thoughts, as well! Please visit often, as I'll be adding regularly. Just scan the titles of each blog for the book's name, and let me know what you think!

(Parents: At the end of each blog, you'll find a "book rating", based upon the MPAA ratings (see link entitled "MPAA Ratings Guide"). Since I generally try to read whatever the kids seem to be reading, and encourage my students to read a wide menu of texts, do not be surprised if you see an "R" rating on a title, or two. I will do my best to be as accurate as possible - HOWEVER, this rating is intended only as a guide. Ultimately, it is your decision as to whether your child should read the titles listed, or not.)


Thursday, June 26, 2008

Wiki-wiki-wiki...

Okay - getting on my technological soapbox! Do you teachers ever find yourself bemoaning the lack of time to really get down to the meat of the meetings whenever your team comes together to plan? Do you spend countless (and precious) hours trying to figure out where you put that wonderful short story/found that perfect poem on the web? Do you wish you could have more time to just wax philosophical with your colleagues on whether or not sentence diagramming is a worthwhile way to teach grammar (okay - that might be a bit over the top)? If you have not had time to play with the wiki in depth, I'd encourage you to give it a whirl. Back on Thing #16, I extolled the virtues of wikis, but my extolling was ridiculously ignorant! Now that I have gotten a chance to really start playing with the three wikis I set up for the L.A. teams on my campus, I am in love! I've settled on Wetpaint (see sample wiki for one modeled after the ones we're (hopefully) using at the Forest). Feel free to play, and share your ideas on how you can see it applied in your world! Happy Wiki-ing! (Note: I've included permission at the bottom to copy anything you see that you like - all I ask is that you let me know what you think!)

1 comment:

Grendel said...

I read through your sample wiki. Wow! You have really done a lot of work. It looks very useful to me and should save team members a lot of time. Sometimes it is hard to keep people on task when you meet face-to-face, and perhaps there are one or two people who want to hog the show. I am thinking that a wiki would be helpful in keeping the focus on the task at hand, people can access the information and read / add to it on their time schedule, and each person's ideas would be visible.