Welcome!!!!

Welcome to Lit's Blog, where all things literary are fair game! As a middle school Language Arts teacher, one of the many things I'll be using this forum for is to share my opinions on books, both Young Adult, and otherwise, that I've recently read, and hope that you'll jump into the fray with your thoughts, as well! Please visit often, as I'll be adding regularly. Just scan the titles of each blog for the book's name, and let me know what you think!

(Parents: At the end of each blog, you'll find a "book rating", based upon the MPAA ratings (see link entitled "MPAA Ratings Guide"). Since I generally try to read whatever the kids seem to be reading, and encourage my students to read a wide menu of texts, do not be surprised if you see an "R" rating on a title, or two. I will do my best to be as accurate as possible - HOWEVER, this rating is intended only as a guide. Ultimately, it is your decision as to whether your child should read the titles listed, or not.)


Monday, June 9, 2008

Response to Thing #5







Here are a few of the pictures I found on the Flickr site. I've included a basic description, as well as how I intend to use each picture to support my students' learning. In general, all three pictures relate to the Holocaust, which 8th grade L.A. typically "do" at the end of the year. I find that many of my kids are unfamiliar with the Holocaust itself, and showing them pictures to supplement the articles they read to build background knowledge prior to reading the class novel, Night, really seems to help them visualize what the characters in the book are going through.



The image of the gate to Auschwitz, which says "Arbeit Macht Frei" (Work makes (you) free), and shows the "welcome" that the victims received at the camp, really underscores the desperation of the Holocaust. Not only does it depict the harshness of the camp, but it also serves as a grim reminder of how hopelessly hopeful the victims were made to feel. I can think of several different applications for this photo - as a discussion point, writing prompt, or simply to build background knowledge for my kids.

The image of the barbed wire is from a section of fence at Auschwitz. I plan on using this early in the study as a writing prompt, asking the kids to simply respond to what they see.





No comments: