Welcome!!!!

Welcome to Lit's Blog, where all things literary are fair game! As a middle school Language Arts teacher, one of the many things I'll be using this forum for is to share my opinions on books, both Young Adult, and otherwise, that I've recently read, and hope that you'll jump into the fray with your thoughts, as well! Please visit often, as I'll be adding regularly. Just scan the titles of each blog for the book's name, and let me know what you think!

(Parents: At the end of each blog, you'll find a "book rating", based upon the MPAA ratings (see link entitled "MPAA Ratings Guide"). Since I generally try to read whatever the kids seem to be reading, and encourage my students to read a wide menu of texts, do not be surprised if you see an "R" rating on a title, or two. I will do my best to be as accurate as possible - HOWEVER, this rating is intended only as a guide. Ultimately, it is your decision as to whether your child should read the titles listed, or not.)


Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thing #15 - Bye-bye Birdie

From Michael Stephens's Blog "One of the principles I would add to the Library 2.0 meme is that “the Library is human” because it makes the library a social and emotionally engaging center for learning and experience. " Please forgive my boldness at this next comment (and this may be the one comment on my blog that pulls the most responses), but it seems to me that the role of the librarian as the sweet-lady/man-that-can-help-you-use-a-card-catalog-or-find-a-book has gone the way of the dodo bird. We (that is teachers and students) need him or her to be our guide, not only in using the library as a learning tool, but also the constantly emerging and improving technologies that will move our students into the future, ESPECIALLY since our population (at least at my school) doesn't always have access to computers, etc. at home, and rely upon the school to meet their technological needs.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely agree with your comment about the extinct "librarian" but I wonder if your colleagues have jumped on that bandwagon. I see several doing this summer activity, but have also seen some that are stubbornly refusing to move forward. I would love to have someone to go to that could help my students and I navigate through the high-tech reading world.

On a separate note, Edward is most definately light haired! I have been having this argument with a friend of mine, and I believe that Edward has been miscast. I think that Ryan Phillipe would be better. I just want to know if she is going to be a vampire or not!

flying_pig said...

I think this technology "issue", that is, keeping up with all of the changes and new "technological toys" of the new millenium, albeit a decade late, may be the refining factor in what "makes" a librarian in the future, particularly with the state of education becoming what it is. (See this entry from a Texas Monthly blog for an interesting article (thanks, Eddie!) on the silliness, for lack of a better word, that's transpiring in Austin, and what it means for us...)

As for Edward - let's face it - he's fabulous no matter what color his hair is. I agree that Stephenie Meyer wrote him as "golden", but I just see him as dark. Probably stereotyping on my part, but oh well. Oh my! Just looked at Ryan's pic - he definitely would have worked!

βG∞D said...

Hey pigs. I just finished my #15. I think you were more concise than me, but similar in message. Think anyone will listen?