Welcome!!!!

Welcome to Lit's Blog, where all things literary are fair game! As a middle school Language Arts teacher, one of the many things I'll be using this forum for is to share my opinions on books, both Young Adult, and otherwise, that I've recently read, and hope that you'll jump into the fray with your thoughts, as well! Please visit often, as I'll be adding regularly. Just scan the titles of each blog for the book's name, and let me know what you think!

(Parents: At the end of each blog, you'll find a "book rating", based upon the MPAA ratings (see link entitled "MPAA Ratings Guide"). Since I generally try to read whatever the kids seem to be reading, and encourage my students to read a wide menu of texts, do not be surprised if you see an "R" rating on a title, or two. I will do my best to be as accurate as possible - HOWEVER, this rating is intended only as a guide. Ultimately, it is your decision as to whether your child should read the titles listed, or not.)


Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thing #22 - It's a Ning Thing

Well, still haven't resolved the vid/podcast issue, but have decided to move on, since I think I've solved the mystery, and just need to shoot it so it'll be uploadable. I played around with several of the Nings, and then joined one of the sites and created a Stratford Alumni Ning - even emailed it to several of my husband's class (he's kept up with about ten of his buddies - kind of impressive, since he's class of '77, and I'm '84). He then informed me that one already exists, and is linked to the SHS home page. Oh, well, I at least got to play with it! I think I'll create a Ning for Writing Teachers - maybe some of my fellow 23 Thingers/Writing Teachers (hint, hint, Grammar god :)) will join in the fun....

I can see all kinds of applications for Nings in the classroom. For the kids, contains so many of the other components (blogs, forums, insertion of vid and pod casts, that I can see it as a wonderful, user friendly way for groups (or individuals) to create focus groups, and incorporate research into that. For example, my skateboarders could create a Ning that included a blog for fellow skate boarders - complete with different threads - video insertions of famous skateboarders, photos, etc. In fact, creating a Ning would be a really cool end of semester or end of year project because it would require the kids to incorporate everything they learned, both technologically, and L.A. curriculum related (not that the two are mutally exclusive, though) into one final place. I think I'll explore that more this next year, as I'm sure there are parental approvals, and such, that I'd need to get.

1 comment:

Grendel said...

Your enthusiasm is contagious, and I love your ideas!