Welcome!!!!

Welcome to Lit's Blog, where all things literary are fair game! As a middle school Language Arts teacher, one of the many things I'll be using this forum for is to share my opinions on books, both Young Adult, and otherwise, that I've recently read, and hope that you'll jump into the fray with your thoughts, as well! Please visit often, as I'll be adding regularly. Just scan the titles of each blog for the book's name, and let me know what you think!

(Parents: At the end of each blog, you'll find a "book rating", based upon the MPAA ratings (see link entitled "MPAA Ratings Guide"). Since I generally try to read whatever the kids seem to be reading, and encourage my students to read a wide menu of texts, do not be surprised if you see an "R" rating on a title, or two. I will do my best to be as accurate as possible - HOWEVER, this rating is intended only as a guide. Ultimately, it is your decision as to whether your child should read the titles listed, or not.)


Saturday, July 19, 2008

Fear Nothing, Dean Koontz


Okay - I admit it - I LOVE Dean Koontz novels. While he does have a tendency, in my opinion, to overuse similes and metaphors a tad too much, he writes one heck of a story, with complex characters caught in complex situations. As a teacher, I appreciate his ability to use dialogue to "flesh out" his characters (in my opinion, he is downright masterful!); as a reader, I can't get enough of his high intensity, non-stop action plots - PLUS, you just never know what twist he'll throw in. In Fear Nothing, the books protagonist, Christopher Snow, finds himself in the midst of a mystery when his father's death sets in motion a bizarre series of events that will ultimately redefine his understanding of not only his closest friends, but the world around him. Koontz deftly weaves a story that asks the question, "What is risked when humans play God?" Definitely a "more mature read" due to some of the content, this one is not a book I would just put out on my classroom shelf, but would definitely recommend to "readers in the wild", as John O'Flahavan would say (at least I think it's John O'Flahavan that says that! :) ) R

No comments: